3 August 2017

Blog Tour: Just Friends by Tiffany Pitcock


Just Friends
Tiffany Pitcock

Published August 1st 2017

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | iBooks | Kobo
A new spin on the classic smart-girl-and-bad-boy setup, this witty contemporary romance shows how easily a friendship – even one built on an elaborate lie – can become so much more.

Jenny meets Chance for the very first time when she is assigned as his partner in their Junior Oral Communications class. But after they rescue a doomed assignment with one clever lie, the whole school is suddenly convinced that Little-Miss-Really-Likes-Having-A’s and the most scandalous heartbreaker in school have been best friends forever. It’s amazing how quickly a lie can grow―especially when you really, really want it to be the truth.

With Jenny, Chance can live the normal life he’s always kind of wanted. And with Chance, Jenny can have the exciting teen experiences that TV shows and movies have always promised. Through it all, they hold on to the fact that they are “just friends.” But that might be the biggest lie of all.

Debut author Tiffany Pitcock delivers a spot-on depiction of first love and the high school rumor mill in Just Friends, chosen by readers like you for Macmillan’s young adult imprint Swoon Reads.

About the Author

Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter
23. Writer. Reader. Sarcastic.

I was born and raised in Arkansas, which isn’t terribly exciting. I’ve wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember. I used to sit in class and write stories in my notebooks, thinking that everyone did. It turns out, everyone didn’t. I love writing because it means I’m putting my thoughts, feelings, and soul out there for someone else to read – for someone else to feel. The fact that someone can read my words, and empathize with my characters – characters that wouldn’t exist with out me, that I created from my mind – is such a wonderful concept to me. I could happily write for the rest of my life as long as there was one person out there who was affected by my words.

My Review

Just Friends is the debut novel of Pitcock, and boy has she made an excellent grand entrance into the world of literature! The novel, is witty, funny, and just a general all round joy to read.

I really found myself being able to relate to Jenny. She's not the greatest at expressing her emotions and feelings, and she has a tendency to get lost in thought. I felt a little like a proud mamma bear watching her grow as a person and discovering herself throughout the book.

Chance is a pretty great character. I mean, he's mean to be this player with a reputation, but he's such a nice guy. Going into the novel, I was fully prepared for some serious slappage to be coming his way at some point, but it never happens. Like, you can try to hate him, but it just seems physically impossible... or maybe that's just Jenny perspective of him influencing me. *winks*  But the main reason I love him? He has the most messed up home life, and he doesn't channel that into making other peoples lives miserable - he does everything in his power to make sure others never have to feel the way that he does.

I loved how refreshing it was to not have Jenny having sex for the first time to be made into a big production, though I can see hoe this could be a controversial point. But like Jenny says, sometimes losing your virginity isn't a be-all and end-all for someone. In general,  sex in this novel is treated very blasé, with more weight being placed on kissing scenes. This gave me mixed feelings, and I'm still not completely sure how I feel about.

Here is a just of just some of my favourite things about this novel (without being too spoiler-y):
  • Jessa (Jenny's baby sister) calling Chance Pwetty
  • The Chance-Jenny banter
  • Jenny giving Chance a tour of her house
  • The creative back and forth of Jenny and Chance creating their fake past on the fly - though I did feel kind of bad for Kelsey, with her feeling like her friendship with Jenny was just some big joke to her and Chance 
  • Jenny getting her brother to clean up by threatening to ask out the girl he likes on his behalf
  • Jenny throwing dictionaries
  • And most of all, that even though Chance and Jenny had feeling for each other, it didn't rule the friendship
The list of things that I didn't particularly like (if I am to be super nit-picky about it):
  • The name Chance. I mean, come on! What a stupid name.
  • The story is in third person. I never feel like I get the same depth in connection with the character like this, and I feel disconnected from them.
  • It ended a chapter too soon! I still have questions, like; what did family and friends think? How did Chance's home situation work out, and how does that effect his relationship with Jenny? How did they handle the gossip mill at school? Did Drake become a bigger tool (though, I'm not sure if that is even humanly possible)?
  • ...basically I just wanted more of Jenny and Chance.
Read Just Friends. I don't really know what else to say. It is simply one of the best novels that I have read in 2017.


4 out of 5

Your Chance to Win!

Open to US/CAN Only
Ends August 10th 2017

a Rafflecopter giveaway

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for hosting today, Renae! This sounds like a great read with a lot of personality and wit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy reading,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 48 ) Adventure ( 2 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 40 ) Aussie Author ( 19 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 93 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 169 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 14 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 17 ) Contemporary ( 181 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 134 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 135 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 1 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 18 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 274 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 19 ) Hachette Australia ( 1 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 3 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 24 ) LGBTQ+ ( 5 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 46 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 3 ) Mythology ( 1 ) NetGalley ( 6 ) New Adult ( 160 ) New Adult College Romance ( 1 ) Paranormal ( 53 ) Paranormal Romance ( 16 ) Playlist ( 3 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 110 ) Review Request ( 21 ) Romance ( 201 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 2 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 10 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 15 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Superheroes ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 11 ) Teaser ( 32 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 5 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 106 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )