9 June 2017

Blog Tour: One S’more Summer by Beth Merlin


One S’more Summer
Beth Merlin

The Campfire Series #1

Published May 30th 2017

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | Kobo
If you love Sophie Kinsella and Emily Giffin, you’ll love this heartwarming debut from a fresh voice in contemporary chick-lit that offers a lighthearted and fun take on friendship, love, and how to recover from past mistakes.

For twenty long years, Gigi Goldstein has been pining away for her best friend’s guy. She knows it’s wrong and it has to stop, but she hasn’t been able to let go ever since they all met on the bus to summer camp back when they were 7 years old. The same week that her best friends finally announce their wedding date, Gigi loses her high-profile design job. With all of her dreams unravelling, she runs to the last place she remembers being happy.

Taking the Head Counselor position at Camp Chinooka, Gigi hopes to reclaim the joy she felt as a camper, but the job isn’t all campfire songs and toasting marshmallows. Gigi’s girls are determined to make her look bad in front of the boys’ Head Counselor—the sexy but infuriating Perry—and every scrap of the campground is laced with memories.

When Gigi finally realizes she can’t escape the present by returning to her past, she’s forced to reexamine her life and find the true meaning of love. But will she be able to mend fences and forgive herself before she loses her one real shot at happiness?

About the Author

Website | Facebook | Twitter
Beth Merlin has a BA from The George Washington University where she minored in Creative Writing and a JD from New York Law School. She’s a native New Yorker who loves anything Broadway, rom-coms, her daughter Hadley, and a good maxi dress. She was introduced to her husband through a friend she met at sleepaway camp and considers the eight summers she spent there to be some of the most formative of her life. One S’more Summer is Beth’s debut novel.

Excerpt

“Gigi, how did this thing with him even start?” Jaime asked.

There were so many answers to his question. In some ways, it started when I was on the bus my first summer at Camp Chinooka. Never having been away from home before, I was terrified. Joshua sat down beside me and we talked the whole way to camp. I first fell in love with him that day.

Maybe things really began during our senior prom, when we were standing outside of the Sheinman's apartment building taking pictures. Joshua was Alicia's date, and I went with a friend. As we made our way toward the limo, Joshua turned to me and told me that he'd never seen me looking more beautiful. After that, my own date hardly existed to me.

Or three years later at a New Year's Eve party, when Joshua kissed me in a dark corner of the crowded dance floor while Alicia was getting a drink from the bar. It wasn't a full-on passionate kiss, more like a peck between drunk friends, but I knew I was in trouble when I realized how much it meant to me.

Then, when I moved in with Alicia, my feelings just seemed to intensify. On nights Joshua would be over waiting for Alicia to come home from work, we would talk for hours. I remember how I'd hold my breath every time I heard the elevator door open in the hallway, silently praying it wouldn't be her. Of course, she would eventually come home, and it would be as though those stolen moments never happened.

Then, the completely unexpected happened. Alicia broke up with Joshua before her trip abroad. After dating him most of her life, she decided she needed a clean break and the opportunity to explore other relationships during her time away. Within a month, she was seeing someone new. By the two-month mark, she was calling to tell me she was considering moving to London permanently. I remember hanging up the phone, my heart pounding because it meant that for the first time since I’d known him, Joshua was free.

I turned to Jamie and gave him the simplest explanation I could. “It started last year, when Alicia was in London. When she got back, it ended.”

Jamie looked me squarely in the eye. “You should tell her.”

“Why hurt her? It's done now.”

“If you still have feelings for him, how can it be done?”

“They’ll get married like all of us always knew they would and I’ll take up the role of the single friend they invite over for holidays. It’s a foolproof plan.” I looked up at Jamie. “Do you think I'm a terrible person?”

He took a long sip of water. “We can't choose who we fall in love with.”

“I could have chosen not to act on it, though,” I said.

“I know it's hard because you still love him—and her, for that matter. But you didn't really do anything wrong here. They were broken up. Alicia ended it. He didn't leave her for you and you didn't cause their relationship to end. But once it was over, you took a chance on a love you've always harbored with a guy who's always been there. What's so wrong with that?”

Jaime took a breath and continued. “And you forget there were two of you. You should tell him how you feel, Gigi. Don’t let him dictate the ending to this story if you want a different one.” He grinned, leaning over to muss my hair. “You'll be okay, kiddo, I promise.”

I smoothed it back into place. “Kiddo? You're only a few years older than me.”

“But decades wiser,” he said, winking.

Your Chance to Win!

Open to US Only
Ends June 10th 2017


a Rafflecopter giveaway

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for hosting today, Renae! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts!

Happy reading,
Renae

Labels

Adult ( 66 ) Adventure ( 3 ) Ally Carter ( 5 ) Amanda Hocking ( 7 ) Andrea Cremer ( 1 ) Angels ( 11 ) Aprilynne Pike ( 1 ) ARC ( 42 ) Aussie Author ( 24 ) Author Love ( 4 ) Battle of the Nations ( 9 ) Blog Tour ( 99 ) Blogger Hacks ( 3 ) Blogoversary ( 2 ) Book Blitz ( 188 ) Book Love ( 5 ) Book Spotlight ( 7 ) Book Swag ( 1 ) Book Trailer ( 15 ) Book Twins ( 1 ) Books ( 84 ) Character Interview ( 3 ) Comedy ( 22 ) Contemporary ( 198 ) Contemporary Sports Romance ( 4 ) Countdown ( 1 ) Cover Crazy ( 9 ) Cover Reveal ( 147 ) Cynthia Hand ( 2 ) Debut ( 2 ) Dusty Reads ( 5 ) Dystopia ( 12 ) Dystopian ( 27 ) Excerpt ( 145 ) Faeries ( 12 ) Fairy Tales ( 2 ) Fairy Tales Retold ( 2 ) Fantasy ( 20 ) Feedback ( 1 ) Friday Finds ( 5 ) Gena Showalter ( 1 ) Give-away ( 300 ) Griffin Hayes ( 4 ) Guest Post ( 21 ) Hachette Australia ( 3 ) Historical ( 4 ) HOP ( 28 ) Horror ( 4 ) IMM ( 11 ) Inside the Author's Head ( 2 ) Interview ( 25 ) LGBTQ+ ( 7 ) M/M ( 1 ) Magic ( 5 ) Maria V. Snyder ( 9 ) Meg Cabot ( 1 ) Miranda Kenneally ( 4 ) Movies ( 2 ) Musings ( 47 ) My Life ( 3 ) Mystery ( 4 ) Mythology ( 2 ) NetGalley ( 7 ) New Adult ( 173 ) New Adult College Romance ( 2 ) Paranormal ( 58 ) Paranormal Romance ( 17 ) Playlist ( 4 ) Pledged ( 6 ) Post-Apocalyptic ( 19 ) Prequel ( 1 ) PROMO ( 18 ) PROMO Blitz ( 1 ) Quiz ( 1 ) Reading Challenges ( 2 ) Review ( 114 ) Review Request ( 22 ) Romance ( 234 ) Romance. ( 1 ) Romantic ( 1 ) Romantic Suspense ( 2 ) Sci-fi ( 2 ) Science Fiction ( 11 ) Short Story ( 4 ) Special Content ( 2 ) Sport ( 4 ) Sports ( 15 ) Stacking the Shelves ( 14 ) Starr Ambrose ( 1 ) Superheroes ( 1 ) Supernatural ( 1 ) Survey ( 1 ) Suspense ( 12 ) Teaser ( 40 ) Teaser Tuesday ( 15 ) Thriller ( 4 ) Time-Travel ( 1 ) Top 10 ( 2 ) TV ( 2 ) Update ( 1 ) Urban Fantasy ( 5 ) Vampires ( 5 ) Waiting on Wednesday ( 51 ) Welcome ( 1 ) Werewolves ( 5 ) Writing ( 1 ) Young Adult ( 114 ) YouTube ( 3 ) Zombies ( 9 )